Policies & Standards
Green Policies & Standards
Food & Beverage
- Plating- We use tableware and cloth napkins to minimize waste. Disposable products are used only for to-go containers, which are made of corn and potato starches. We never use Styrofoam in our services.
- Organic/Local Menu Options- Our menus are always based of seasonally-available ingredients and locally-sourced, going so far as to work with farmers to have access to vegetables and herbs not grown commercially. Menus can additionally be organic, upon request.
- Bulk- Bulk condiments are available and placed on individual tables or buffet line to eliminate the waste associated with individually-portioned items.
- Food Waste- Food waste is separated out: compost items, recyclable items and garbage. There are waste containers designed for each type of garbage. Waste is sorted in back of house and is done consistently with all recyclable or compost items throughout the property.
- Left Over Food- Left over food is either used in the Employee Dining Room to supplement the menu or donated to local shelters. Chaminade has been donating food to local shelters for over 8 years- currently at the rate of 5 days per week.
- Chaminade Resort & Spa sits on a 300-acre wooded property. This contributes to ideal air quality on-site.
- Electric Vehicles are used by staff onsite.
- Shuttle bus services are available as a convenience to our guests as well as a method for reducing the number of vehicles on property.
- Everything needed for a successful meeting experience, including restaurants, is located on-site to minimize the need for transportation.
- Lighting- Compact florescent lighting is used throughout the property to decrease energy usage.
- Energy Consumption- An onsite co-generation unit generates 40% of electrical demand and produces 100% of the property’s heating demand. Most heating and air conditioning are on energy management system and the hotel uses Energy Star appliances wherever possible.
Waste Reduction & Diversion
- Everything that can be recycled is separated and recycled, and everything that is compostable is composted.
- Toner cartridges are returned to the manufacturer and all e-waste is recycled at Grey Bears Recycling Facility.
- All Conference Event Orders and other correspondence are emailed or done by phone to reduce paper consumption, unless customer requests for materials to be faxed.
- Printing Paper- Chaminade uses certified fiber sourcing paper certified by the Sustainable Forestry Initiative.
- Paper Towels & Toilet Paper- Chaminade uses the greenest paper products in the hospitality market
- Cleaning Products- Cleaning products used on property and in guest rooms are organic and have been awarded the highest government rating designed for the environment (DFE). Among these products from VASKA are a rosemary-based cleaning compound, a lavender room spray and a non-toxic window and glass cleaner.
Water Conservation & Quality
- Water Bottles- Water bottles are not used on-site. Instead, water pitchers and glasses are used.
- Water Conservation Practices- Chaminade Resort & Spa provides optional linen service, serves water only upon request and makes use of drip irrigation controls.
- Restrooms- Low flow tanks are installed throughout the property to minimize water usage.
- Community Commitment Program- Hometown Hospitality: Caring for Our Communities is a responsible corporate citizenship program at Chaminade that formalizes many active community involvement programs and engages the property as a vital contributor in its home community.
- Community Outreach- Chaminade Resort & Spa’s staff coordinates regular events to reach out to the community, including fundraisers, toy drives, beach clean-ups, holiday and other events for the Boys & Girls Club and Relay for Life.